Thursday, April 17, 2014

Gratitude Challenge : Day 3 (Family Member)

When I was 4 years old, when my parents were both working, they could not tend to their four children at a time. So they have to split us up. My grand mother offered to get and bring me and my second brother with her to be taken care of for the meantime. From Luzon to Mindanao, our childhood resumed in an entirely different place as happily (because we got no choice) as we could be and met new playmates and friends despite the language barrier.  My grandmother became very fond of us since there weren't any grand children living in her house. My kuya became her favorite. And my auntie Ruth, the youngest sister of my mama, still a young lady at that time, had grown a soft spot for me and became my new mother. She's a bit mature for her age, I guess almost all the girls in their generation were, helping my lola in taking care of us. My auntie Ruth, who I call Auntie Ot2x would be the one to bring me to a water pump / poso across the street to help me take a bath, she'd dressed me up, and bring me to my morning class in kindergarten and would put me into my mandatory nap every afternoon. She did those everyday whenever she's not in school. She and I slept together every night. We had a mother-sister-daughter kind of bonding when I was little. She took a BEED course in college and I remember when I was in Grade 2 that she'd let me help her check the test papers of her students which I truly enjoyed doing. I commend her for juggling studies with her mother duties to us altogether. There was an instance when she ran away from home because she had a great fight with a family remember, I cried real hard when I watched her pull clothes from the closet then threw tantrums after she left. But she came back though. And I  was so happy.

In 1997, My parents with my eldest bro and sister arrived from Luzon and moved in to my Lola's house after the mining corporation in Zambales got bankrupt. My real mother decided to stay as a house wife while my father had to get a job abroad. Even if my real mother was already around, the bond I had with my aunt did not cease. It continued towards my elementary years up until high school, attending my PTA's and recognition days whenever my mother is too busy with our mini tindahan. My auntie Ot was my confidante. She was the first one to know about my menarche (pagdadalaga) and the first one I told about my eye vision problem. There were many things about me that only she knew first. I also remember when I was six, I told her that I didn't want her to marry and have any children because I wanted her to have me as her only baby. But she had a baby, and when my cousin was born, I treated it like my own brother. I will always care for her children the way she generously cared for me like a daughter. My auntie Ot will always be my second mama even if my bond with her is stronger than my own mom.
 
She's also an epitome of a strong woman. She'd been knocked down so many times in life more than anyone could ever imagine (both the ones I witnessed and didn't) but she endured and stayed strong through it all. She's the black sheep, the rebel, and a frequent mistake maker, but among my mother's sisters, she's got the purest and biggest heart of them all. She's one of my most cherished member in the family. And I thank the Lord for my auntie Ruth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you wanna say?

 
;